Parts Of North India With Cultures That May Be Weird To Americans
India is a diverse land of numerous religions, customs, languages, and traditions. Many customs and traditions have been around for centuries and have become part of the culture, but to an American tourist they may appear bizarre or funny. Here are a few examples from North India:
- Marriage of frogs – In order to
welcome monsoon showers, people perform the marriage of two frogs. The croaking sound is considered a good omen that welcomes rain God, Indra.
- Girls marrying the Peepal tree – Girls of marriageable age who are found to have a ‘defect’ or dosh in their horoscope tie the knot, literally, with a Peepal tree before she marries her fiancé. This is why you may see a Peepal tree with many strings of multi-colored (mostly yellow with red) thread tied around it!
- Indian hosts consider their guest as God. Be prepared to be ‘assaulted’ by their hospitality, especially if you’re invited for a meal.
- Always take off footwear before entering a home. You are expected to.
- Always wash your hands before and after a meal (even if spoons were used for eating!)
Hope you found this article informative! Do check out “The Amazing Kerala Tour Packages You Should Grab”
Annonline is a travel agency that helps American tourists plan and arrange for your memorable holidays in India. We are experienced in this niche and we can save you the trouble of scouring through innumerable websites in your search for the best destination in India.
India’s Beauty Spot
“In religion, India is the only millionaire.. The one land that all man desire to see and having seen once, by even a glimpse, would not give that glimpse for all the shows of all the rest of the globe combined.”